Agenda and minutes

Heritage, Culture, Leisure and Sport Scrutiny Commission
Tuesday, 3 December 2019 5:30 pm

Venue: Meeting Room G.02, Ground Floor, City Hall, 115 Charles Street, Leicester, LE1 1FZ

Contact: Anita Patel, Scrutiny Policy Officer, tel: 0116 454 6342 - email:  Anita.Patel@leicester.gov.uk  Ayleena Thomas, Democratic Support Officer, tel: 0116 454 5369 - email:  Ayleena.Thomas@leicester.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

39.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Nangreave, Councillor Shelton and John Leach (Director for Neighbourhood and Environmental Services).

 

The Chair welcomed Councillor Gee to this Committee meeting.

40.

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members are asked to declare any interests they may have in the business to be discussed.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

41.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 2 MB

The Minutes of the meeting of the Heritage, Culture, Leisure and Sport Scrutiny Commission held on 8 October 2019 are attached and Members are asked to confirm them as a correct record.

Minutes:

AGREED:

That the minutes of the Heritage, Culture, Leisure and Sport Scrutiny Commission held on 8 October 2019 be confirmed as a correct record.

42.

PROGRESS ON ACTIONS AGREED AT THE LAST MEETING

To note progress on actions agreed at the previous meeting and not reported elsewhere on the agenda (if any).

Minutes:

The Chair thanked Officers for sending updates. It was requested that any other items be added to the work programme.

 

·         Following the last committee meeting it was agreed that data on swimming usage would be provided. A document entitled ‘Swimming usage by ethnicity at Braunstone and Cossington’ was sent to Members before the meeting and also a hard copy circulated at the meeting.

 

·         A Member of the Commission had concerns that the document was difficult to understand and required more clarity i.e. the second most users were ‘unknown’ which did not give details as to the users’ ethnicity.

 

·         Officers suggested that this Member of the Commission could meet with the Officer to obtain more clarity on the details.

 

AGREED:

1)    That the author of the document ‘Swimming usage by ethnicity at Braunstone and Cossington’ provide further clarity.

2)      Following this, the document was to be circulated to all Members of the Commission.

43.

CHAIR'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

Minutes:

There were no announcements made by the Chair.

44.

PETITIONS

The Monitoring Officer to report on the receipt of any petitions submitted in accordance with the Council’s procedures.

Minutes:

The Monitoring Officer reported that no petitions had been received.

45.

QUESTIONS, REPRESENTATIONS, STATEMENTS OF CASE

The Monitoring Officer to report on the receipt of any questions, representations and statements of case submitted in accordance with the Council’s procedures.

Minutes:

There were no questions, representations or statements of case.

46.

HUMBERSTONE HEIGHTS GOLF COURSE - UPDATE pdf icon PDF 120 KB

The Director of Public Health, submits a report providing an update on the Humberstone Heights Golf Course development.

 

Members of the Commission will be asked to note the improved performance at the site and the continued developments that aim to further improve the effectiveness and access of local residents to the course.

Minutes:

Crispin Clark, Outdoor Recreational Manager – gave a presentation to update the Committee on the Humberstone Heights Golf Course.

 

During the presentation the following was outlined:

·         The decision to close Western Park in October 2015 was made to consolidate and invest in Humberstone Heights Golf Course.

·         A brief history of the golf course, capital investments that had been made to improve the course including drainage improvements, reception upgrade and the refurbishment of changing rooms.

·         Other improvements noted included; new signage, appointing an outdoor recreation manager, advertising and developing leases/ licences.

·         The golf course’s net subsidy would be expected to break even this financial year.

·         Future developments would be to review contractual arrangements, analyse casual users, develop a 12-month annual marketing plan and reviewing irregularities with fees and charges.

·         Although the developments were not yet complete, the Deputy City Mayor Councillor Clair was proud of the work.

 

Victoria Ball, Sport & Active Recreation Manager and Andrew Beddow, Head of Sports with Officers from their team responded to the following points raised by Members:

·         One of the aims would be to improve junior participation and working with the course to improve greater competition with women and girls.

·         It was noted that improved joined approaches were required.

·         The Academy course would help to build confidence.

·         In response to the Chair’s suggestion for Officers to work with local schools to engage awareness. The Officer noted that there was now more opportunity to do outreach work in the community and it was necessary to have a junior section that sat alongside the golf club and made golf accessible to young people.

·         Work with professionals was now required to retain those children/ people who had reached a certain level.

·         Responding to a Member’s questions on whether there was any consideration to identify the ethnicity of users, it was noted that these communities were encouraged mainly through marketing however more could be done. Officers also welcomed feedback on how this could be achieved.

 

The Chair and Members of the Commission suggested the following ideas:

·         Open spaces could be used to do ‘golfing pop ups’.

·         To take golf into local communities to provide a basic tuition.

·         Use a large screen to give people tasters.

 

AGREED:

1)    That the contents of the report be noted.

2)    For the Officer to provide information as to how many people transferred from Western Park to Humberstone Golf Club (to keep membership).

3)    To encourage younger people in schools to use the facility.

4)    To encourage minority groups to use the facility.

47.

CULTURAL AND CREATIVE INDUSTRIES PLAN FOR LEICESTER pdf icon PDF 104 KB

The Director of Tourism, Culture & Inward Investment, submits a report advising that the city council intends to facilitate the creation of a forward looking cultural and creative industries plan as well as progress made to create a new cultural prospectus document.

 

Members of the Commission will be invited to comment on the proposals to create a forward looking cultural and creative industries plan and to note the recently completed cultural prospectus.

Minutes:

Mike Dalzell, Director of Tourism, Culture and Inward Investment presented the following:

 

·         A short video on the culture of Leicester and circulated the brochure hardcopy which was created to showcase and celebrate Leicester’s art, culture and creative industries.

·         This brochure would also be distributed in the city and to organisations to promote what the city had to offer, to encourage new investment, attract staff to the city and invite new collaborations.

·         It would also be marketed to tourists, visitors, hotels and organisations involved in the arts world.

·         The brochure reflected the considerable additional investment from Arts Council England into the city, particularly the core funding provided to the 16 National Portfolio Organisations (NPO) featured in the brochure.

·         The brochure was also available in digital formats alongside 30 and 120 second short film clips to be used for promotion on social media networks. Links to the interactive PDF version and all the organisations featured were available online.

·         Director of Tourism, Culture and Inward Investment stressed Leicester’s range, diversity and international connections as featured in the brochure.

·         The next step would be further work with these organisations and to engage creative businesses, with the intention of developing a more forward looking cultural and creative industries plan.

·         It was hoped that an update would be bought back to the Commission in six months’ time.

 

Deputy City Mayor Councillor Clair noted how exclusive Leicester was as a City with its diversity and cultures.

 

The following points were made in discussion:

·         To deal with the impact of Brexit on creative industries in Leicester - it would be essential to sustain engagements and connections with organisations which worked closely with Europe and Internationally.

·         The process of becoming an NPO with Arts Council England was explained in terms of the application, need to submit a comprehensive business plan and demonstrate clear outcomes.

·         The forward plan would be launched early in the spring / summer of 2020.

 

AGREED:

1)    That the project be noted.

48.

JEWRY WALL/ VAUGHAN COLLEGE REFURBISHMENT PROJECT UPDATE pdf icon PDF 931 KB

The Director of Tourism, Culture & Inward Investment, submits a report updating on the refurbishment project on the Jewry Wall Museum and Vaughan College site.

 

Members of the Commission will be asked to comment on progress to date and to note the contents of the report.

Minutes:

Jo Jones, Head of Arts, Museums, Festivals & Events presented the report and drew Members’ attention to the following points:

 

·         Following the purchase of Vaughan College, funding was approved to develop a master plan, interpretation strategy and designs for the refurbishment of the Jewry Wall/ Vaughan College site to create a two-floor visitor attraction.

·         In November 2018 an executive decision was taken that the first phase would be to carry out improvement works whereby £2.644m was allocated.

·         The project had also secured £0.5m funding from the LLEP and other works were done to attract external funding towards the overall scheme costs.

·         A cost review had recently been undertaken which seen the scheme go out to tender in November 2019 and it was anticipated that a new contractor would be appointed mid-March 2020.

·         Further anticipations would be that works commence on site in June 2020, the completion of the connecting walkway by the end of 2020 with the rest of the Phase 1 works to be completed in the spring of 2021.

·         Designers had recently been commissioned to review the visual audio interpretation elements.

·         Due to the buildings being constructed on top of Roman remains exposed in the 1930’s, there had been potential for onsite archaeology issues.

·         October 2019 – the pit was dug for the proposed lift installation.

·         Finalising archaeology onsite were noted as works to be anticipated before the end of 2019.

·         The scheme benefited from the HLF funded project in partnership with the Friends of Jewry Wall to deliver site improvements and public interpretation.

·         It was noted that a good relationship had been kept with contractors and training providers.

·         Following phase 1 which was to make the building safe and watertight, the next stage would be to finish the building and mechanical aspects and then set the exhibition.

·         Further funds would continue to be raised in order to assist with the remainder of the project.

 

A Member of the Commission requested that an update on what’s happening on the site, and interpretation of heritage be provided at the next Heritage Partnership meeting.

 

AGREED:

1)    That the report be noted, and programme supported.

2)    That the Head of Arts, Museums, Festivals & Events provide a progress update in one years’ time.

49.

WORK PROGRAMME pdf icon PDF 81 KB

The current work programme for the Commission is attached.  The Commission is asked to consider this and make comments and/or amendments as it considers necessary.

Minutes:

AGREED:

That the work programme be noted.

50.

ANY OTHER URGENT BUSINESS

Minutes:

There being no further business the meeting closed at 6:36pm.