Agenda and minutes

Abbey Community Meeting
Monday, 15 July 2019 6:00 pm

Venue: The Tudor Centre, Bewcastle Grove, Mowmacre Hill, Leicester LE4 2JW

Contact: Anita Clarke, Community Engagement Officer Tel: 0116 4546576 (Email:  Anita.Clarke@leicester.gov.uk)  Anita James, Democratic Services Tel: 0116 454 6358 (Email:  Anita.James2@leicester.gov.uk)

Items
No. Item

1.

WELCOME AND INTRODUCTIONS

Councillors will elect a Chair for the meeting.

 

The Chair will introduce those present and make any necessary announcements.

 

The Chair and any other Councillors who are present will make any declarations as required by the Councillors’ Code of Conduct.

Minutes:

Councillor Byrne, the Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting and led introductions.

2.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Minutes:

Apologies were received from the City Warden and Sgt Matt Blackburn.

3.

ACTION LOG OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 85 KB

The Action Log of the meeting held on 25TH February 2019, is attached and Members will be asked to confirm it as an accurate record.

 

Minutes:

AGREED as an accurate record.

4.

COUNCILLORS FEEDBACK pdf icon PDF 32 KB

Minutes:

Councillors reported that:

·         Proposals in relation to parking issues around Exploration Drive/Asda were out for public consultation.

·         Several issues had been raised regarding parking issues along Byford Road.

·         Belgrave St Peters School – bollards had been installed to address issues with school run parking and steps were being taken to improve signage.

·         Highways team had provided a written update on works in the area to be appended to the action log.

5.

LOCAL POLICING UPDATE

A Police Officer will be at the meeting to provide an update on local policing issues in the Ward.

Minutes:

PC Mel Germon gave a brief update on local policing matters including details of latest crime figures across the ward.

 

It was noted that the Beaumont Leys Emergency Services day would be taking place on 8th August 2019

6.

CITY WARDEN UPDATE pdf icon PDF 1 MB

The City Warden will give an update on issues in the Ward.

Minutes:

In the absence of the City Warden a written update was circulated (as attached).

 

ACTION: A City Warden to attend the next Abbey Ward meeting.

7.

NEIGHBOURHOOD HOUSING UPDATE

A local Housing Officer will provide an update on housing issues in the Ward.

Minutes:

Marie Murray, District Manager Housing gave an update on housing matters across the ward.

 

It was noted that:

·         Environment projects 2019/20 were continuing and internal painting had been completed at Bridlespur Way, Jersey Road and Millwood Close.

·         Pigeon spikes had been installed in several areas across the ward to stop bird nuisance.

·         There were no major ASB issues although housing officers continued to work closely with the police.

·         Funding had been secured to install bollards on Halifax Drive and keys would be given to residents to allow them continued access.

·         Leicester into Work scheme were continuing their programme of works tackling untidy pockets of land.

·         A fire had occurred in a communal area on Millwood Close due to a discarded mattress. Residents were reminded not to leave items in communal areas.

·         Untaxed vehicles left on council land would be clamped and removed.

 

Residents were encouraged to use the Love Leicester app to report issues such as rubbish/fly tipping/dog fouling so that cleansing services could deal with that.

8.

WARD COMMUNITY BUDGET

Councillors are reminded that under the Council’s Code of Conduct they should declare any interest they may have in budget applications.

 

An update will be given on the Ward Community Budget together with a summary of grant applications submitted for consideration since the last meeting.

 

Minutes:

The community engagement officer gave an update on the ward community budget and informed those present of the applications supported since the last meeting as follows:

 

·         Beaumont Leys Policing Team - £500 supported towards Emergency Services Day 2019

·         Leicester Outdoor Pursuit Centre - £1360 supported towards their project to improve accessibility to the main building

·         Irish Cultural Activity Programme - £800 supported towards continuation of a local history project

·         Leicester Stories Writers Group - £100 supported towards encouraging creative writing in all ages.

 

It was confirmed that an evaluation form had been submitted during the meeting and this would follow due process outside the meeting.

 

Representatives from the Unity Boxing Club based in Home Farm gave a brief outline of the boxing club’s activities and involvement with young people from across the ward. It was noted that the club had been operating as a non-profit club run by volunteers for 10 years and had tried to be self-sufficient. The gym was in need of some urgent maintenance and renovation and support was sought from the community budget towards that.

 

ACTION: CEO to liaise with Unity Boxing Club regarding their application and other sources of funding.

 

ACTION: CEO to liaise with Unity Boxing Club to arrange a convenient date for site visit by Ward Councillors and District Housing Officer.

9.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Minutes:

AOB 1

Concerns were raised about the issue of vehicles speeding along Heacham Drive and it was reported that several incidents had occurred in a short period with one residents wall being hit by vehicles 3 times. It was also a concern that the new housing development would increase traffic on Heacham Drive and no consideration appeared to have been given to the infrastructure.


ACTION: Councillor Byrne to contact Martin Fletcher in Highways to arrange a site visit on a Friday at 4pm (date to be confirmed).

Residents were asked to leave their contact details so that they could be advised of the date of the site visit.

 

AOB 2

Concern was raised about abandoned vehicles and one in particular on the corner of Larchment Road/Anstey Lane that was partially on the pavement. This had been reported to the council and DVLA but had still not been removed. Due to its location and the current road works it was impacting on issues in that area.

Councillor Riyait indicated that he was aware of the vehicle on Larchment Road and had raised this as an enquiry.

 

ACTION: Councillor Riyait to chase progress.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 6.50pm