Venue: Meeting Room G.01, Ground Floor, City Hall, 115 Charles Street, Leicester, LE1 1FZ
Contact: Kalvaran Sandhu: Tel. (0116) 454 6344 Graham Carey: Tel. No 0116 4546356 Internal 376356
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies for absence were received from:-
Mrs R Camamile CC Leicestershire County Council had nominated
Mr D Jennings to attend as a substitute.
Karen Chouhan and David Henson – Healthwatch Leicester
Councillor Fonseca Leicester City Council
Steven Forbes Strategic Director of Adult Social Care
Councillor M Unsworth Leicester City Council
DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Members are asked to declare any interests they may have in the business on the agenda, and/or indicate that Section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 applies to them.
Members were asked to declare any interests they might have in the business on the agenda.
Councillor Cassidy declared an Other Disclosable Interest as a Trustee of the Carlton Hayes Mental Health Charity.
Councillor Conde declared an Other Disclosable Interest as his daughter worked as Mental Health Nurse for Peterborough and Stamford NHS Trust.
Mrs B Newton CC declared an Other Disclosable Interest as her son and daughter worked in the local health service.
In accordance with the Members’ Code of Conduct the interests were not considered so significant in relation to the strategic level of discussion that was likely to take place and it was, therefore, unlikely to prejudice Councillor Cassidy, Councillor Conde or Mrs Newton CC’s judgement of the public interest. Councillor Cassidy, Councillor Conde or Mrs Newton CC’s were not therefore required to withdraw from the meeting during consideration and discussion on the item.
The minutes of the meeting held on 29 September 2016 are attached and the Committee is asked to confirm them as a correct record.
The minutes of the meeting held on 29 September 2016 be confirmed as a correct record.
The Monitoring Officer to report on the receipt of any petitions submitted in accordance with the Council’s procedures
The Monitoring Officer reported that no petitions had been submitted in accordance with the Council’s procedures.
QUESTIONS, REPRESENTATIONS, STATEMENTS OF CASE
The Monitoring Officer to report on the receipt of any questions, petitions, or statements of case in accordance with the Council’s procedures
The Monitoring Officer reported that no questions, representations, or statements of case had been received in accordance with the Council’s procedures.
Toby Sanders, Senior Responsible Officer for the Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP) to provide an overview of the draft Sustainability and Transformation Plan that was released on 21 November 2016.
The Committee is asked to comment upon the proposals and to agree the future scrutiny arrangements for the STP.
Toby Sanders, Senior Responsible Officer for the Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP) provided an overview of the draft Sustainability and Transformation Plan that was released on 21 November 2016.
Also in attendance to answer members questions were:-
Peter Miller Chief Executive, Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust
Tim Sacks Chief Operating Officer, East Leicestershire
and Rutland CCG
Sarah Prema, Director of Strategy and Planning, Leicester City CCG
Mark Wightman Director of Marketing and Communications, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust
Nikki Bridge Finance Director, Better Care Together
The Senior Responsible Officer stated that the Draft STP for Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland (LLR) was 1 of 44 plans across the country that had been governed by national directives from NHS England and NHS Improvement, in particular. The process was designed to set out health and wellbeing outcomes for the local LLR population over the next 5 year period to address the challenges of:-
• The health and wellbeing gap in terms of health needs and outcomes over the next 5 years.
• Improving care and the quality of service provision to make sure they are of high quality and safe.
• To ensure that services are provided in a way that was affordable within the funds allocated within the NHS system.
The Plan identified the following 5 key priorities for areas which it was considered required fundamental changes over the next 5 years to address the challenges set out above:-
a) New models of care focused on prevention and moderating demand growth.
b) Service configuration to ensure clinical and financial sustainability.
c) Redesign pathways to deliver improved outcomes for patients and deliver core access and quality.
d) Operation efficiencies.
e) Getting the enablers right.
These priorities would need to be developed with local authorities, patients and patient groups, community organisations and the voluntary sector etc. The Plan addressed proposals on how to:-
• Improve services provided for particular groups of patients currently presenting challenges in the health service, including improving the home first model supporting discharges from all hospitals to ensure patients, particularly the frail and elderly, are adequately supported at home as early and safely as possible; which leads to better outcomes for patients in re-enablement and recovery.
• Improve Urgent and Emergency Care Services to enable patients in times of crisis to have rapid access to emergency care services in appropriate settings and wherever possible in primary and community settings in order to reduce pressures and demands on emergency acute services in hospitals and the A&E Department at the Leicester Royal Infirmary.
• Developing integrated teams of community based nursing staff, therapy staff and General Practice Teams working together to support patients, particularly those with long term conditions, to remain healthy and well and manage their own conditions for as long as possible.
• Improving existing pathways and service areas to provide improved services and better patient access and a better patient journey through the system including cancer, mental health, learning disabilities and children’s services. ... view the full minutes text for item 18.
ANY OTHER URGENT BUSINESS
There were no items of Any Other Urgent Business.
CLOSE OF MEETING
The Chair declared the meeting closed at 4.00pm.